owners, and when I said immaculate, I mean they have been meticulous to the point that their attention to detail won a Sussex Heritage Trust Award – from the impressive flint walls, timber beams and light filled barns to the astounding views, this Sussex wedding venue wows and it's no wonder they are they National Winner for the best Wedding Barn venue at The Wedding Industry Awards in 2022.
Immaculate, is how I would describe Farbridge wedding venue. Once an old dairy dating from 1825, this exquisite barn set in the heart of the West Sussex countryside and located only ten minutes from Chichester, has been beautifully restored by its
I LOVE living on the beautiful Sussex coastline, and feel so lucky that I get to capture beautiful weddings not only all over, but at intimate wedding venues in West Sussex. With over eight years of experience photographing Southend Barns Weddings, it’s firmly become one of my favourite countryside venues.
This page features lots of beautiful photos that I have taken at my clients weddings who hired the gorgeous Southend Barns Wedding venue for their Wedding day - it's exquisite – proof is in the pudding as they say – they WON Best Barn Venue in the UK Wedding Awards 2018 with You and Your Wedding magazine,
Hitched website, and Perfect Wedding magazine, and I am very pleased to offer discounted rates to couples getting married at this romantic wedding venue surrounded by open fields.
I photographed one of the first ever Southend Barns weddings in the Summer of 2012. Since then I have photographed a further 60+ weddings here, at all times of year and in all weathers - every one of them has been divine and an absolute vision! The staff are so professional and friendly, they are a pleasure to work with and even from my clients I have only ever heard amazing things.
Having been renovated with such refined taste and to an exceptional standard, they were designed with weddings in mind and therefore with only subtle touches to create a light, warm and airy atmosphere they’ve allowed for you to add your own ideas and style to this exclusive-use barn in Sussex for your wedding.
Nestled in the rolling downloads of the South Downs National Park, Farbridge is a beautiful barn wedding venue located just outside of Chichester, in West Dean, it’s within easy reach of London, Brighton, Portsmouth and Southampton and with underfloor heating the venue is perfect for weddings all year round.
All ceremonies are conducted in the meadow barn, which adjoins the main barn and has large French doors down one side of the room with stunning views. Licensed for civil marriages and partnerships, the meadow barn is in a neutral colour tone and big enough to host a bigger wedding with a capacity of 135, yet still has a really graceful and intimate feel to it with natural light flooding in through the French doors and a curtain of fairy lights on the back wall of the room adding some warmth and sparkle.
This private suite is tucked away in its own secret garden making it the perfect hideaway for the morning of your wedding. With one room specifically for hair and make-up, multiple mirrors and lots of room for girly catch up and giggles while the make-up artist and hair stylist do their work. The bedroom itself is really luxurious and spacious with the bed and bathroom up on another level and a lovely lounging area. The secluded garden is the perfect spot for beautiful pre-ceremony photos with your wedding party.
The grounds here really are spectacular, the large central courtyard is delightfully stylish with impeccable borders, an ideal setting for hosting drinks on the lawn or even playing games for a more fun atmosphere. The flint stoned wall at the end is a particular favourite of mine for group photos with a breath-taking backdrop of rolling landscape. Beyond these walls runs the River Lavant overlooking the South Downs, and with two quaint bridges leading to the idyllic fields that change with the seasons and are perfect for romantic couple portraits – just think walking hand in hand as newlyweds through the rural Sussex countryside.
For me, this is the real wow part of Farbridge wedding venue Sussex. This is the main barn where your guests arrive, drinks are served and where the wedding breakfasts will be. With a capacity of 150 its huge, and a photographers dream as it not only oozes luxury and elegance but it is really light and airy making it easy for me to capture stunning reaction shots of your guests during speeches.
the rural, rustic elegance of
Along with his team he strives to make as much as they can from scratch – from breads to jams and chutneys, to ice-cream and cordials. This in-house kitchen is divine allowing you to choose from canapés and three course meals to shared platters for a typical Sussex farm wedding to street stalls! You can even supply your own drinks and they won’t charge you for corkage.
With a delicious unique menu for every wedding using the freshest ingredients based on the season and sourced from local suppliers wherever possible, Cuckoo’s team of chefs go above and beyond to bring new inspiration to your menu. With culinary skills honed by 20 years in the kitchen, head chef Simon Dixon, a New Zealander does not disappoint, what a legend this guy is!
1. Take time out for your couple portraits, looking dreamy as a newly married bride and groom. With Farbridge Barns being surrounded by so much natural beauty we really won’t need to journey too fare so you need not worry about missing out on any of the fun your wedding guests are having for long. Although, that said, if there’s a beautiful sunset on the eve of your wedding I most definitely would encourage you to join me outside for some romantic golden hour photos.
2. If you’re happier to spend a little more time alone as husband and wife on your wedding day then along the track, you’ll find the remains of an old dairy – a dramatic setting for some portraits offering an alternative backdrop to what all of your guests would have seen.
A Little Note...
Every fairy tale wedding at Farbridge wedding venue is different as the neutral coloured décor and so much white as well as outdoor space with the courtyard and surrounding landscape, it really allows couples to put their own stamp on it and create a wedding venue that’s truly theirs. The flexible spaces and barns that connect to one another enables your day to unfold in a relaxed yet organised fashion. With outstanding facilities, disabled access, superb service and some of the most comfortable accommodation in West Sussex, it’s easy to see why this is one of the leading wedding barns in Sussex.
Nickie has managed over 500 weddings in her career and is so friendly and efficient, she and her husband, Simon, are valuable assets of this this glorious venue. With Imogen, Ellie, Ells, Julie and the rest of this professional and friendly team of event managers on-site brings the freedom to make every wedding day unique.
For Sussex wedding photography, in my opinion the large windows, high ceilings and flint walls of the main barn means the light bounces around giving me lovely soft light and in turn meaning lovely soft skin tones, beautiful and natural, light-filled photos.
3. The Meadow barn used for ceremonies is an interesting room to shoot in for a photographer. As it presents some extreme variations in natural light. So it’s really important that your wedding photographer understands lighting including kelvin temperatures, apertures and ISO’s to ensure your photos are not under or over exposed, are not too noisy and that your whites are balanced correctly, as it can be quite intrusive having flashes going off, like paparazzi. I shoot with a silent shutter during the ceremony and unobtrusively, using the natural light.
4. Book some live music for the day, to give a chilled outdoor summer wedding vibe to your day. My personal favourites are Stevie Appleton, an incredible acoustic singer and guitarist who always ends up with guests dancing and singing along – he's AMAZING and I actually flew him out to Mallorca for our Wedding in 2022 – you can find him on Instagram. Alternatively, for background music I’d highly recommend Steel Strum, I photographed Alex’s wedding and have worked with him at so many weddings before this and since, and he’s superb. The steel strums are unique, playing absolute classics yet lovely to listen and dance to while still being able to hold a conversation with your guests.
5. If you like the location and surrounding areas of venues like Firle Place and the Yoghurt Rooms, then Farbridge wedding venue is definitely worth a visit.
6. As a venue buddy I offer a discount to all weddings at Farbridge wedding venue. (*NB. not in conjunction with sales, already discounted packages).
Rachel & Andy
Farbridge is the perfect country idyll, surrounded by stunning farmland and the rolling hills of the South Downs. These weddings below are some of my couples I've photographed as a Farbridge Wedding Photographer.
Meg & Matt
Bryony & Euan
Adele & David
Jodie & Ross
Nicola & Jack
For Bride or Groom prep
On the doorstep
I hope you enjoy visiting my website. Please do get in touch if you are still looking for your Farbridge wedding photographer, I'm part of a friendly and established network of female wedding photographers and I would love to discuss your wedding photography with you.
next featured venue
Chichester or Bosham
You will find Farbridge approximately 2 miles out of Lavant on your right, or approximately 1 mile after West Dean on your left. On-site you'll find ample parking and vehicles they may be left overnight until 11am. You will need to book a taxi for the end of the night in advance, prior to the wedding.
As a West Sussex wedding photographer, I would recommend for summer weddings on weekends or in school holidays to leave a fair amount of extra travelling time as queues to West Wittering beach can tail back onto the A27, if travelling from the East then it's a good idea to turn off toward Bognor Regis, Pagham or Hunston and use your Sat Nav to take a scenic route.
Preston Farm, West Dean,
Chichester, West Sussex.
taxi to Southend Barns
Central Cars, Chichester
Air BnB large unique house in rural Amberley
Willow House BnB
Air BnB large coastal retreat in Birdham
Plush Tents, Chichester
Red House Farm, The Witterings
The Goodwood Hotel
Chichester Harbour Hotel
Chichester Park hotel